My name is John Jurica and I am a physician, entrepreneur, and former hospital executive. I have practiced medicine for 30 years, studied public health, started several medical practices, studied physician leadership, and worked as an integral member of a highly effective executive team. Along the way, I became a Certified Physician Executive (CPE). Welcome to my blog.
Thanks for joining me.
My purpose for writing this blog is to share stories, insights, tips and tools based on my experiences as a physician executive over the past 20 years of my career.
My Mission is to inspire and inform physicians as they consider the move into management, and to help them become effective executives as they grow into their careers. I hope to serve as a guide and coach and curator of new information for my readers. My Vision is for a world with physicians taking more of a leadership role in any business that involves patient care.
I intend to:
- provide practical tools and advice that will enhance your skills as a physician leader, manager and executive
- steer you to useful articles, websites, books, conferences and other resources
- regularly solicit your suggestions and questions
- provide commentary on news that impacts the physician executive
I am calling this site the Vital Physician Executive. I selected the name because of the two important meanings of the word “Vital”:
- Vigorous, energetic and strong – as in VITALITY
- Needed, important, critical and INDISPENSABLE – as in being indispensable or vital to your organization, your CEO and your team
Here are some of the topics I plan on addressing in future posts, checklists, ebooks, audio recordings, podcasts and other resources (not necessarily in this order):
- Is a Non-Clinical Career Right for Me?
- How Do I Move into a Management Career?
- What Are the New Skills I Will Need as a Physician Executive?
- Top 10 Books to Help Me Prepare and Grow as an Executive?
- How Do I Effectively Work With (Manage) My Direct Reports?
- Why is CLARITY So Important as a Physician Leader?
- The Physician Executive as Both Leader and Manager
- How to Be Indispensable
- The MOST Important Issue for Your Career Success
- How and Why Is TRUST So Important?
- Why Is Confrontation Good?
- Understanding and Having Fierce Conversations
- Making Meetings Powerful and Effective
- What It Takes to Be a Top 100 Hospital
- How Do I Define My Team?
- Should I Write a Blog as Physician Executive?
- How Do I Facilitate Accountability in My Managers and Directors?
- Patient Safety
- Components of an Awesome Quality Improvement Program
- Working on Physician Employment Contracts
Keep in Touch
What do you think about these topics? What other topics would you like to read about? Please enroll in this Blog using the applet below. I will then send you a short email each time there is a new post.
And please let me know if this thing is not working, if the posts are difficult to read, if the links are broken, etc. It’s the only way that I will be able to fix problems as they arise.
And take the time to add comments so we can keep the conversation going.
Thanks again for looking around. Please respond to this and future posts by sending some comments and let me know what you would like to read about that’s not on the list – or the topics that I should prioritize!